Image Map

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Caramel Swirled Apple-Pear Bread (Week #3 of 12 Weeks of Holiday Treats)


 
 
Confession.  I baked this bread twice in a 12 hour period of time.  Not once but twice I say. Yes, this quick bread which is packed with chunks of apples and pears, oozing with cinnamon happiness and swirled with a rich loveliness of caramel sauce is NO joke.  I promise you that once you make it once you will then make it twice within a day.  Bake one loaf for yourself and one to give away.  EASY!   Even better, bake a couple as holiday gifts!! This bread would absolutely perfect wrapped up in a pretty package and handed off to friends and family for the holidays.   They will all love and thank you for it over and over again -  I can promise you that.  So put your apron on and get out your apples and pears!  It's time to make a lovely quick bread.
 
 

 
Thus I present to you my #3 entry for the 12 Weeks of Holiday Treats. I can't thank Brenda from Meal Planning Magic for all the hard work and dedication she has put towards making this 12 week party happen.  Hugs of gratitude to sent to you dearest Brenda!
 
 
 
 Feel free to make this bread with just apples as the original recipe only used apples.  Also feel free to use store bought caramel sauce (simplicity is crucial during the holidays!) or you can use the recipe I posted last week for Homemade Caramel Sauce - it's super yummy and very easy to make. The original recipe also called for pouring caramel sauce over the top of the bread when baked and cooled.  Such a good idea!  I did not do so for either of my breads but I promised myself that the next time I make this recipe I will. 
 
 
Caramel Swirled Apple-Pear Bread
(recipe altered slightly from one of my all time favorite blogs - Bakingdom)
 
Ingredients:
 
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 medium apples - peeled, cored and cut into small chunks (shredded is fine too)
1 medium pear - peeled, cored and cut into small chunks (shredded if you prefer)
1/4 - 1/2 cup caramel sauce - homemade or store bought
 
Directions:
 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9x5 loaf pan and set aside.
 
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Set dry mixture aside.
 
3. Beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.  Add in eggs one at a time - mix well inbetween each one.  Add in 1/3 of flour mixture, mix to combine and continue with remaining 2/3's flour mixture.  Do not over beat as that will create a "tough" bread.
 
4.  Gently stir in prepared fruit.
 
5.  Pour 1/2 of bread batter into prepared pan and then pour caramel sauce over batter. Finish by topping with remaining bread batter.

 
6. Bake for 50-60 minutes.  Rotating pan half way through.  A toothpick inserted in center should come out with only a few crumbs stuck to it when bread is done. Cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing and enjoying.  Don't forget, you can always drizzle some caramel sauce over the top of your bread before slicing...it sure looks good that way!
 
 
 

 Happy Caramel Swirl Apple-Pear Bread Baking!


7 comments:

  1. What a great Fall & Holiday recipe! The caramel swirl sounds excellent. I don't blame you for making it twice. I would, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. It must be really tasty if you made it twice in such a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the apples and pears in this bread-YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Avril, this looks so so good! I am so drooling for a piece with caramel sauce. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an innovative way to get the “swirl” into the bread! Thanks for sharing such a great idea along with the ways to make it work best. I'm going to have to bookmark this for future recipe reference. Thanks!
    locksmith parramatta

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that there are pieces of apple and pear, so that you know exactly what you're biting into!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bread looks crazy good…

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis